this is how I'm supposed to be
 Blogs I Like
 Links Page
 Contact
  • asfo_del [ at ] yahoo.com
Listening to Green Day Again
Posted by Guest

[This essay was written by Kelsey. Thanks for sending it in. -Delfina]

I feel like I turned the world back on when I started listening to Green Day again. They’re like those extra metallic crayons that come in specialty packs of Crayola. You can still draw without them, but the image you create isn’t quite as fabulous. With two months to go until 21st Century Breakdown hit the stores, I started listening to the boys after a year of letting my albums collect dust.

Suddenly I could get through an entire novel again, sometimes in one sitting. Suddenly I could write again. My mind became a sponge, soaking up all the paint spilled across the world. Green Day leads me through the streets of my mind with a foggier sense of direction, but a clearer sense of purpose than before. They’re more than music.

When I think Green Day, one of their songs doesn’t automatically pop into my mind. No, it’s their stories & their convictions that stick to the edges of my eyes. I don’t think you could truly love a band for four years without that happening. You have to see them all stripped to their cores, before you can start the understand the hurricane they create in my mind. They’re not in the tabloids, but I feel like I know them better than any paparazzi princess.

Green Day offers us more than any band I can think of. They bare everything in their songs; every emotion they’ve ever felt echoes through the arenas they perform in. They shower us with their quirks in interviews. They tell tall tales & make stupid jokes and somehow you still get dizzy from their honesty. Something about that sneaky grin on Billie’s lips tells you that he’s lying & so he’s not really lying at all if he knows that you know. You know?

And if their hearts on a rusted platter isn’t enough for you, then there’s still The Network and The Foxboro Hottubs to cover any element you might be missing. They’re like a romantic with a severe case of Multiple Personality Disorder. All over the place, they fit your every need like a tongue to your lips - sweet and never too salty.

And somehow through all this, I need to explain how this can turn the world back on. How did my focus shift on its axis when I plugged back into the Green Day universe? It happens when you soak up all their honesty, all that attitude that lets them try anything & it makes you want to force your eyes open and do the same before you miss out on any piece of life. If they’re just fucked up kids from broken homes, then surely there’s someone around the corner who’s pretty much the same. Maybe I’m just the same.

They make me believe in love, in laughter, in friendship, and most of all, in myself. They prove that my best friend I met at the age of six can still be my best friend thirty years down the road. They prove that love can be found at the age of eighteen. They blur the lines of reality & shake my brain until I feel silly and don’t know which path to take. But at least they open my eyes so that I at least see all the paths & try to choose which one’s right. They cut open my heart & I don’t even mind because at least then there’ll be more room for art & love to crawl in. Bury its head in my chest & set me on my way to self discorvery, whatever that means.

I think I had a point, but I lost it in my attempt to express an impossible feeling. Green Day does that to me.

August 14, 2009 at 5:37 pm [ Category: Essay, Personal ]

Comment from Elly August 14, 2009, 6:27 pm

What a lovely essay. I really liked it! And yes, I’m pretty much the same way. Green Day really do inspire such profound things in us and we don’t even realize it. I completely understand what you’re saying about ‘knowing them more than any paparazzi princess.’ They really do make the world seem much more interesting, don’t they? And even if it’s really not, everything they sing about and tell us seems to have that extra little ’sheen’ to it that you just can’t find on anything else. :D Great job! I loved reading your thoughts on such a mind-bending phenomenon. ha ha. Keep it up!

Comment from Meghan August 15, 2009, 4:47 pm

This essay brought me to tears. I have never been capable of putting my love for Green Day into words. This essay covers every emotion & idea that runs through my mind when I listen to Green Day. All this time, I’d been thinking I was just mentally insane for loving a band the amount that I do. But, come to find out that I’m not the only one. It’s amazing. More than amazing, really. It’s surreal.

Comment from Melly August 16, 2009, 3:43 pm

i’m really crying right now. and i have to say that i’m not the person that cries over evry little thing that happens. i could never find the words or THE right word which describe my feelings towards those 3 amazing people. thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. i have shivers going down my spine still. it feels god to know that i’m not the only one who loves this band in such a not-able-to-express-your-feelings kind of way :)

Comment from Tanya August 16, 2009, 10:57 pm

Thanks for this. Nicely written. It’s so difficult to put into words what these guys mean to me. You’ve come close, thanks. I’m suffering from such withdrawal after four shows this summer. Their dedication to their fans eases some of the uncertainty that I sometimes feel over my ‘devotion’ to them. And yes, they inspire me so much, particularly knowing that they have massive doubts just like me. Anyway, thanks Kelsey, very nice.

Comment from paula August 18, 2009, 12:31 pm

lovely and well written…if thats how you feel after 4 years, imagine how I feel after 15 years! :)

Pingback from Green Day is Different « Green Day Breakdown Diary August 18, 2009, 3:49 pm

[…] said was “totally awesome and super creepy at the same time.” We struggle, like Kelsey, a guest essayist at nothingwrongwithme.com, to put into words how much they mean to us, and tend to isolate within Green Day-only fan club […]

Comment from Kate August 19, 2009, 7:52 pm

I can completely relate to where your coming from with what you wrote in this essay. Well done by the way, you almolst had me crying then haha. I really respect you and everyone who commented back to you for really loving and completley understanding the guys in green day for being the funny, down to earth chappies they are :) . There music really inspires me to and I realise that my personality and attitude are strongly influenced by them. I listen to their music and feel a certain power and determination in my self and my confidence which im sure you can relate to. I really wish I had guys like them around me or someone who understood my thoughts and opinions on them, thanks again for your amazing anaylisis of what it is like to be so devoted to such an amazing band!!! lots of love from kate in Derby who is looking forward to seeing them in Birmingham in october!!! =] X x x x x x x

Comment from Kelsey August 22, 2009, 4:54 pm

Wow, thanks so much everyone. I was not expecting this sort of response at all. Before I get all mushy, it felt so cool to be quoted in someone else’s work! Anyways, it’s incredible to know that other people feel the same way I do & that I’m not alone in my insanity. Maybe I’m not insane at all if enough of you are just as messed. No offense. :)
Also, knowing that my writing connects with people is huge to me. I cannot express how much writing means to me & how important it is. Thanks so much for the response, it’s been incredible.

Comment from Kate August 29, 2009, 9:59 pm

Im really glad the comments meant alot to you. I think its really great that you have something you really enjoy doing. Im kinda the same with art =] keep up you writing and love for greenday!!! X x x x x x

Write a comment