this is how I'm supposed to be
 Blogs I Like
 Links Page
 Contact
  • asfo_del [ at ] yahoo.com
A Fan Encounter in 1994: Green Day on a Plane
Posted by Delfina

I love stories of fan encounters with Green Day, and this one has to be one of my favorites. It was written by a fan who sat next to the guys in Green Day on a plane in August of 1994, when they were at their cheekiest and silliest.

Even before boarding, the fan writes that Billie Joe was “loudly warbling his version of Tom Petty’s ‘Refugee,’ playing along on an acoustic guitar.” During the flight, Billie Joe hilariously “staggered up to the intercom and attempted to ask the entire plane if any of the stewardesses could bring him ‘another bag of penis.’” That bit made me snort out loud. If I had been drinking something when I read it I would have done a spit-take.

But perhaps the most telling and sweet part is about Mike Dirnt:

“I have two enduring memories. One was the quizzical (and slightly worried) expression on my stepdad’s face, as he tried to figure out why we were getting off the plane, kidding and laughing, with three spiky-headed, pierced musicians. The other was Mike, rushing to his purple-haired girlfriend’s arms, and then looking back at us and mouthing, ‘See, this is her!’ Because I can still picture that moment, Mike Dirnt will never be a spoiled, arrogant rock star to me, no matter what else he does with his life.”

Read it all here.

October 3, 2009 at 6:34 pm [ Category: Encounters, History ]

Comment from Amanda October 4, 2009, 12:29 am

Good thing you warned me, or there would have been water allll over my keyboard :). Loved it.

Comment from Annie K October 4, 2009, 12:08 pm

Thanks for posting this link. Nolan’s article was great, and he’s now posted an amusing review of the American Idiot musical.

(Off topic: I know comments are closed on this, but I just saw your link to the 1994 Idiot Club newsletter. I had no idea I was part of such a long tradition- I thought the Idiot Club was something Warner Reprise had thought of - so thanks for sharing the silly, entertaining newsletter. It must feel good to be a card carrying Idiot since 1994!)

Comment from Elly October 4, 2009, 1:14 pm

This was such a sweet story. Loved Billie Joe’s request. :D They probably were a little…high. ha ha. But it’s so great to see them as everypeople and not the excessive rockstars of today that seem to be everywhere. I’ve always found Green Day refreshing in the fact that they aren’t like the other rock bands out there. And Mike proves this point so sweetly. ;) I even ‘awwwed.’ Thanks for the read!

Comment from dave October 5, 2009, 6:06 pm

your website is awesome. green day rocks, and these vintage green day stories and articles are the best, thanks a lot

Comment from Delfina October 5, 2009, 11:19 pm

Thanks for your nice comments. I love the vintage stuff too.

Annie, the Idiot Club was called the All Ages Club (appropriately) for a while, but I guess the name was too irresistible…

Comment from Teenage Kicks! October 6, 2009, 10:58 pm

LOL That sounds like a flight of awesomeness.

I love this place. It’s full of not just new stuff but old stuff, ya know what I mean. :P

Comment from Melly October 7, 2009, 3:26 pm

xD awsome

Comment from lorena October 9, 2009, 8:24 pm

Delfina, thanks for sharing story of green day fans, they´re an inspiration.What funny Tre Cool¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Write a comment