this is how I'm supposed to be
 Blogs I Like
 Links Page
 Contact
  • asfo_del [ at ] yahoo.com
Green Day Plays Belfast in 1991
Posted by Delfina

A big thank you to Andrew, who sent in a wonderful article he wrote for Northern Ireland’s News Letter, published yesterday, the day Green Day played Belfast on the current tour. Green Day’s early days are one of my favorite topics: this article is an oral history of a gig they played in Belfast in 1991 for a crowd of 100 people, put on by a local punk collective. There are no photos or videos of that show, only first person accounts, which the author collected for this piece.

Belfast musician Michael Branagh recalls: “The second the band took to the stage, people started actually running towards the front. It was a non-stop sweat-fest after that — a great adrenaline rush.” Read it all, here.

This is the original show flier. The photo was printed with the article.

October 21, 2009 at 8:41 pm [ Category: Concerts, Articles, History ]

Comment from Abbey October 21, 2009, 9:02 pm

what a blast to read andrew’s piece - i dont know if i can truly appreciate what it is like for the boys to be doing this together for 20 YEARS. 20 freaking years of music, travel, and shows at every corner of the planet. ah-mazing.

Comment from Delfina October 22, 2009, 12:32 am

I just love how down to earth they were and, amazingly, still are!

Comment from oldrocker October 22, 2009, 12:38 pm

What a great poster! I really enjoyed the article, of course. The poster is the icing on the cake for me. Thanks, Delfina.

Comment from Tanya October 22, 2009, 3:07 pm

Ah, it’s beautiful fliers like this that I wonder if the boys have in their own collections… the archivist in me wonders this, of course! But I’m weird. That’s a great flier!

Comment from Moonbeam October 22, 2009, 5:51 pm

Cool, it’s weird reading about Green Day being in Ireland before they were famous. I love how they still seem as down to earth now as they were then.

Comment from Janice Cawley October 31, 2009, 5:22 pm

I was at that gig - It was amazing. I only managed to see the band by standing on a chair at the back of the room!

Write a comment